In 1900, Salvatore Proite and his family emigrated from Sicily, settling in Milwaukee. He began selling fruits and vegetables door to door from a horse-drawn wagon. Eventually a store, “The New Deal" was opened on Ogden Avenue. The New Deal was run by Salvatore’s sons Joseph Sr. and Tony Proite. A wholesale produce route continued the tradition of offering quality merchandise to local restaurants and stores.
In 1980, Joseph Proite Jr. purchased an existing open air fruit market on Layton Avenue that operated only during the summer months. Eventually the store was enclosed to operate year-round. With this update, Layton Fruit Market was able to expand from just fruit and vegetables to carrying a variety of specialty items with an emphasis on Italian groceries.
Layton Fruit Market truly embodies the term “family business”. As the years have gone on, another generation has joined the family business. The family, along with valued employees, continues the tradition of offering the finest products available as well as exceptional customer service.